Monday, April 9, 2012

Tray Chic



Here is something I saw from Martha Stewart a long time ago. I saved it in my bookmarks for about a year. After many  tries, I finally made it without it falling apart.

Here's the original...



I found an old tray at Goodwill. I painted it black (did not use good technique and there were drippies everywhere), and I used wook glue to attach some cute knobs I picked up at Home Depot for $2.50 each. It worked for a while but the knobs kept coming off. No matter if I used Gorrilla Glue or what, the tray was inevitably always three legged. Sigh. You can see where the paint came off when the knob snapped off.




So I finally got the good sense to drill some holes into the tray. Got out my trusty hand drill and went to work. I had to go back to Home Depot to get new screws to attach the knobs because the screws that came with them were too long and had a dome shaped head. I wanted the new screws to be shorter and with a flat head so they wouldn't poke up into the tray area. It took about 2 months for me to finally get to the store with the knob so I could find the right one. Once I did, It was a snap, I just drilled the hole and attached them!


Then I decided to line the inside of the tray with some velour fabric. I did this to cover the unsightly look of the screws but also give it some more pizzazz. In the end, the original pain job didn't turn out great, but its been knocked around enough to acquire a sort of distressed look. I didn't repaint the bottom where the original paint had peeled off since it's at the bottom and you can't really see it. It now sits on my coffee table holding my new coasters and the remotes! Hoorah.


No comments:

Post a Comment